Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Es Tee Ar Ee Es Es (Effects of STRESS)

If it took you several seconds to figure out the title then probably you are stressed-out.  STRESS can make you lose your focus especially if it's chronic (occurring for a long time) or uncontrolled.

Stress is a state of mental tension and worry caused by a problem.  It happens in the mind but it can also affect the physical body.  The most common manifestations are headache, stomach problems (diarrhea or constipation), chest pain, palpitations (fast heartbeat) and sleeping problems.  If the situation is very intense, some women will hyperventilate resulting to very fast breathing, feeling of numbness and cramps at the hands and feet, weakness and dizziness.  Stress also results to behavioral changes like anxiety, irritability, restlessness and lack of motivation.  You may think that these are manifestations of an underlying illness, you maybe right.  But when your doctor's examination results are all normal, stress must be the culprit.

I am no stranger to stress.  What I had was coupled with depression and I tell you, it's a vicious cycle. Because of stress at work, I did not want to get up in the morning, I laid in bed the whole day.  For us, who need to work to feed the family, we simply cannot do that.  

Stress is an everyday occurrence, we can never get away with it.  However, we can choose how to cope with it.  Some people, tend to undergo the negative coping mechanism.  They criticize themselves more, drink alcohol, light more cigars, eat too much or not eating at all.  These actions will surely pull you down even more.  If these will continue for a prolonged period, then serious diseases can set in like high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity, diabetes and gastritis or stomach ulcers.  You will know that your stress is uncontrolled when you fail to do even simple daily tasks properly, your relationships crumble down, you don't go out and you don't connect with other people.

I had a first hand experience with extreme stress, to the point that I wished the earth would swallow me up.  Yes, there was a time when I really hit rock bottom.  However, I was able to make the switch, a full 180 deg turn and i'm happy to share with you how I did it.

It started with a decision, I decided not to punish myself anymore.  I started to love myself and promised to do things that could make me happy.   I turned away from the negative coping mechanisms and I geared myself towards positivity.  Do you know that negative thoughts will bring more negative situations?  Yes, they do.  So, feed your mind with good thoughts.  Laugh, go out with friends, play with your pet, watch a movie or listen to music.  Do anything that makes you smile, give yourself a break and treat yourself.  If you believe in God, do remember, He said that He will provide. Sometimes, we think that the solution comes solely from us that's why we worry too much.

Support system is very important too, family and friends can lift your mood so spend more time with them.  I have my wife to thank for the undying support during those difficult years.  You should also set goals, challenge yourself and manage your time properly so that you can do what needs to be done.  Finally, arrange your priorities well, don't get stressed with minor problems. If your priority is family, then by all means do your best to provide for them.  If your priority is your job, then work hard, learn about new strategies to make your tasks easier, read books, don't be lazy. If you will love yourself, you will never do things which would hurt you, don't let stress defeat you. Take charge.




4 comments:

  1. Doc A, in my experience, regular exercise can reduce stress. When I am able to exercise regularly I notice that I am very active at work. How do you explain that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Merjoy, nice to have you again in my spot. Physiologically, exercise can increase heart rate thus increasing blood circulation, delivering the needed oxygen and nutrients to our organs. The body also releases endorphins which create feelings of happiness. So, if you're happy and your body is healthy, then you will be active in your work. On the psychological side, having completed an exercise routine gives you a sense of achievement (especially if you have planned to go out and do some work-out for a very long time, after having so many procrastinations.)
    When you achieve something, you are very eager to achieve more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Venus, nice to have you here in my blog. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete